Last Updated on
Looking for the best essential oil diffusers on the market?
As of 2020, there are over 4,000 electronic diffusers to choose from. Since there are so many electronic diffusers to choose from it can be difficult choosing the right one for you. Truth be told each of these devices has different features that you need to consider before getting one. In this complete guide, I’m going to show you all about electronic diffusers (or ultrasonic diffusers).
I’ve spent hours researching them and I have composed a list of the top 9 best electronic diffusers. My roundup has something for everyone; no matter how big your room is and whatever specific needs you want. So, let’s get started so you can find the one that is right for you.
What To Consider Before Buying A Electronic Diffuser
Think of this as the capacity of water that your diffuser will hold. This is measured in milliliters. For example, some popular sizes are 100, 250, 500, and 1,000 milliliters. Typically, the bigger the tank the less often you will have to fill your diffuser up with water.
Being able to control how much of the mist that comes out of the diffuser is an excellent feature. There might be times when you don’t want a lot of mist coming out. There could be times when you want a lot of mist coming out. Each essential oil diffuser will have settings so that you can control the frequency that mist is dispersed and how much of it is dispersed.
Believe it or not not every electronic diffuser will work in every room. Meaning, typically they are good for a specified sq. ft. room. You should consider the area of coverage before you purchase a diffuser.
Another important feature for a diffuser is a timer. For instance, you can have it set to run for 30-180 minutes. You could possibly want to diffuse it overnight while you sleep, in 10-minute increments, or indefinitely.
Believe it or not, some electronic diffusers are louder than others. This is measured in dB. Some diffusers will beep when they turn off, which you may or may not want. Ultimately, you don’t want a diffuser that is so loud that wakes you up at night or disrupts you’re thinking while you are working or relaxing in your home or office.
Nearly, all electronic diffusers have the ability to change colors. You can use them as a night light, cycle the colors, or turn the light off completely.
Ease of Use
It should be easy to add water and essential oils to your diffuser. There shouldn’t be a lot of work needed before you fill your diffuser up. As an added bonus some diffusers actually come with fill lines and measuring cups.
Always consider the warranty that is included with diffusers. Some diffusers have a longer warranty than others. If it breaks you can easily get a new one without having to spend any money out of your pocket.
Best Essential Oil Diffusers of 2020
Down below I have selected 9 essential oil diffusers that I feel are very solid purchases. I will go over the features of each of the diffusers down below.
Plant Therapy AromaFuse Diffuser
Plant Therapy is my number one trusted brand for essential oils. (see my review here) So, it makes perfect sense that their AromaFuse is an awesome electrical diffuser. This diffuser will run up to 10 hours of continuous mist. It will cover 500+ square feet, which makes it perfect for larger rooms.
What I love about this diffuser are the timer settings. When you press it once it will diffuse until it completely runs out of the water. If you press the button twice it will run for 2 hours and then shuts off. When you press it three times it diffuses for 15 seconds and then shuts off for 30 seconds. When you press the button four times it diffuses for 15 minutes and shuts off for 30 minutes. Lastly, when you press it 5 times it diffuses for 30 minutes and shuts off for 30 minutes.
The AromaFuse diffuser by Plant Therapy comes in 3 different colors. The colors it comes in are rose gold, wood grain, and pearl white.
The plastic is made of BPA-free plastic. It’s coated so it the oils don’t deteriorate away at the plastic. It’s a more visually appealing diffuser than other diffusers, too. The quality of this diffusers is fantastic with lots of functionality.
- It has a tank that is 380 milliliters, but last as long as other 500 mL models.
- Covers 538 square feet, which makes it perfect for large rooms.
- Has LED lights which can be dimmed or you can easily turn the light off.
- Lid easily lifts off and you just add water and put the lid back on.
- Comes with a 1-year replacement warranty.
- Is available with bundles of essential oils.
- Doesn’t include a fill line. Therefore, you can’t get an exact measurement of the water capacity.
- Can’t spin the lid to control where the mist goes.
- Higher price tag than other essential oil diffusers.
doTERRA Petal Diffuser
doTERRA is a respectable brand which I have already reviewed here. See my full review of this diffuser here. This diffuser by doTERRA is one of their most popular selling electronic diffusers. It acts as both a diffuser and humidifier. The first thing I noticed about this diffuser is the quality of this diffuser. It’s thought to be one of the more stylish diffusers on the market and doTERRA is a prominent name in the essential oil industry.
There is a timer set which you can set for 1,2 and 4 hours. It does act as a night light which can be either turned on or off. You can’t cycle the light colors because it only lights up as white.
The doTERRA Petal diffuser does cover 330 square feet, which does make it great for small to medium-sized rooms. Does produce mist at 37.5 ml per hour. This diffuser does last for 4 hours with continuous usage.
doTERRA is a trusted name in the aromatherapy world. They have a loyal customer base. If you can afford to pay more money it’s a great option.
- Superior quality versus other cheaper electronic diffusers.
- It’s a simple 3 piece diffuser which is very convenient to use.
- Can act as a nightlight (only white light).
- One of the more expensive electronic diffusers.
- Cost over $65+ retail or below $50 wholesale.
- No intermittent mode.
- Only puts out mist for 4 hours.
Young Living Dewdrop Diffuser
I have already written a Young Living review which you can check out here. Check out my full review of this diffuser here. Most people that sign up with Young Living use the Dewdrop diffuser. It seems to be their most popular model. It does come in their “Premium Starter Kit”. It’s a simplistic but high-quality diffuser that not only diffuses essential oils it also humidifies the air.
It has one mode which runs continuously for up to 4 hours at a time before it needs to be refilled. The insert just lifts out and you fill it to the fill line. However, you can fill the water with tap water. Another popular model by Young Living the “Home” diffuser requires you to add distilled water only. Also, it does automatically shut off when it runs out of the water.
The Dewdrop diffuser can cover 320 sq. ft, so it’s perfect for small to medium-sized rooms. It can act as a night light and only has one button. The one light color is a blue color which does really look awesome at night.
The Dewdrop is quieter than the Home and Bamboo which are two other diffusers that are offered by Young Living.
If you can afford the higher price tag of the Dewdrop diffuser by Young Living I would say go for it. Young Living does have a strong loyal customer base and does sell high-quality essential oils and diffusers.
- Very high-quality made diffuser.
- Good for small to medium-sized rooms.
- Can hardly hear the diffuser when it’s turned on.
- Looks really cool at night with the blue light on.
- 12-month guarantee.
- Cost nearly $85 retail price versus a cheaper wholesale price.
- Only runs in continuous mode.
- Only puts out mist for 4 hours.
Smiley Daisy 120 mL Aromatherapy Diffuser
Smiley Daisy produces some high-quality ultrasonic diffusers. This diffuser is super quiet and doesn’t beep when it turns off like most. It’s a good diffuser for smaller rooms and puts out 20 mL/hr. It automatically shuts off when it runs out of the water.
This diffuser will run for 5 hours with continuous use. It does have an intermittent mist mode that diffuses for 30 seconds and stops for 30 seconds. When you use it in an intermittent mode it lasts for 9 hours.
It has 7 LED light colors. All of which can be dimmed. Also, the lights will auto rotate. Additionally, you can turn the LED light off if you don’t want it on.
Lastly, it’s one of the quieter models that you can hardly hear when it’s on. This is good for people that have problems with sleep due to noises.
- 180-day product warranty.
- Friendly and very responsive customer support.
- Has an intermittent mode so you don’t have to run it continuously.
- Very quiet diffuser that you can hardly hear and when it shuts off you hear a little click versus a beep.
- Only disperses mist at 20 mL/hr so might not be ideal for bigger rooms.
- Only last for 5 hours of continuous use.
- No low/high setting to control the amount of mist.
VicTsing 300ml Diffuser/ Humidifier
This diffuser by VicTsing is a 300 mL mister and humidifier. This stylish diffuser comes in many different colors. It comes in the following colors baby black, redwood brown, deep brown, grey and black, and wood grain.
This diffuser can run for up to 10 hours with continuous use. It will shut off 5 seconds after the water goes out. There are three different settings for the timer; 1 hour, 3 hours, and 6 hours.
This VicTsing diffuser also allows you to switch between strong and standard mist. The strong mist puts out 50 milliliters per hour and the standard mist puts out 30 milliliters per hour.
It does light up in 7 different lighting options and you can dim each color.
- Comes in 5 stylish designs.
- Can return it within 45 days for a full refund and comes with a 12-month hassle-free warranty.
- Cleaning and adding essential oils is simple. Just lift the top and add in the water and essential oils.
- Can put out 50 milliliters per hour with its high setting.
- This diffuser does beep when it shuts off.
- There is a small amount of light that you can see even when the LED lights are turned off.
- Doesn’t come with markings for adding a precise amount of water. For instance, if you only wanted to fill it 100 and 200 mL. There is an only “max fill” line.
Edens Garden: Ceramic Ultrasonic Diffuser – Blue Ombre
Edens Garden is a highly respectable essential oil brand that I have used and recommend to others. You can see my full review of them here. The outer cover of this diffuser is ceramic while the interior parts are 100% BPA free.
There are several options for colors; blue ombre, mauve ombre, stone gray, and taupe ombre.
It has a 100 mL water tank. It does come with a measuring cup so you can easily fill the diffuser. Filling the water is as easy as twisting off the ceramic cover and pouring water into the tank. Then, you replace the cover and connect the device to an outlet.
The mist button controls if you want a continuous mist by pressing it once. If you press the mist button twice it will go into an intermittent mode which is 30 seconds ON/ 30 seconds off). It will automatically shut off when it runs out of water.
You can control the light by pressing the light button once, which will display the light brightly. When you press the light button 2 times it will make the light more ambient. Lastly, if you don’t want the light on you can press it again to turn it off.
If you want a diffuser that is a little more stylish it’s a solid purchase. This diffuser by Edens Garden is certainly a fully functional diffuser that will leave people asking you where you got it.
- Trusted Brand.
- Stylish ceramic design.
- Easy to use (only two buttons).
- Comes in 4 different colors.
- Can light up at night.
- 1-year warranty.
- Small 100 mL tank.
- Can’t cycle the light colors.
SpaRoom AromaMist Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser
SpaRoom makes a lot of quality diffusers. Truth be told, it was the first essential oil diffuser that I ever owned. For instance, if you go to Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Walmart, and several other department stores you will see SpaRoom diffusers for sale.
One of the best things about this SpaRoom AromaMist diffuser is it can last for 10 hours with continuous use. But, if you use it at 15-second intervals it can last for a whopping 20 hours.
It does come in 3 different colors; black, white, and silver.
This one comes with a 300 mL water tank. It’s a very quite diffuser and shuts off automatically when the water runs out.
Overall, I have been happy with Sparoom diffusers and their essential oils over the years. The AromaMist stands out because you can use it for an extended amount of time without having to refill the water. Not to mention, for under $25 it’s a bargain.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Last for 20 hours with interment usage.
- Easy to use (only two buttons).
- Comes in three colors.
- Super quiet.
- Not ideal for larger rooms.
ASAKUKI 500 mL (5 in 1 Diffuser)
ASAKUKI was originated from Japan. It means “air in the morning”. It comes in a stylish wood grain base and the top lights up. This diffuser by ASAKUKI holds 500 mL of water. It’s a mister and humidifier. You can use it as a night light with 7 different colors and you can dim each one. The colors are white, pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, and red.
There is a timer setting on the ASAKUKI which goes for 60, 120, and 180 minutes. Also, it lasts up to 16 hours with continuous usage. This is several more hours than other similar ultrasonic diffusers. It automatically shuts off when the water runs out.
Additionally, you can control the mist that comes out of the diffuser. There is a high and low setting to control the mist. It puts out either 30 mL/h or 50 mL/h. You can easily spin the top around to direct where you want the mist to go.
- Last an impressive 16 hours with continuous usage.
- It comes with a 6-month money-back guarantee and a 1-year warranty.
- Two different levels of mist control (low/high).
- Has measuring lines in 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 mL.
- Only covers 270-320 sq. ft which is less than other similar diffusers.
- Beeps when shuts off and when you adjust the mist settings.
- No intermittent mode to dispersing mist throughout the day.
URPOWER 500 mL Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser/Humidifier
The URPOWER (see my full review here) aromatherapy essential oil diffuser is a humidifier as well as an ionizer. You can even use it as a nightlight. It will provide you with up to 10 hours of continuous mist. It does cover up to 430 square feet of space. This makes it big enough for large rooms and even smaller rooms.
You can use the high and low mode which will disperse either a higher amount of mist into the air or a lower amount of mist. I recommend using the higher mode for larger rooms and the lower mode for smaller rooms.
As I have mentioned earlier it even acts as a humidifier. The humidifier can cover up to 230 square feet.
One really cool feature about this unit is it has a timer. You can use it for 60 minutes, 120 minutes, 180 minutes, or until it runs out of water completely. It will automatically run out of the water so you don’t have to worry about the ionizer breaking.
- It has a large capacity 500 milliliters tank. This allows you to run it for up to 10 hours.
- It’s good for large rooms and small rooms because of the high/low setting.
- This diffuser is fairly quiet and puts out noise at 39 dB.
- The lid does lift off easily and you don’t have to take an insert out before placing your water and essential oils in the device.
- It comes with a measuring cup and the inside fill line is marked in 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500-milliliter increments.
- Comes with an 18-month replacement guarantee.
- It does beep every time it shuts off which some people might find annoying.
- Every time you hit a button it does beep which can get kind of annoying. There is no setting to mute the beeping.
- There is no intermittent mode for dispersing the mist for 10 seconds and shutting it off and on.
How To Use An Essential Oil Diffuser
It’s actually very simple to use an electronic diffuser. All you do is remove the top and put in a few drops of essential oil. Then you put the top on and run your diffuser. Depending on the capacity of your diffusers (measured in milliliters) will depend on how many drops you should add to your diffuser.
Here is a table for adding drops to your diffuser:
How To Clean An Essential Oil Diffuser
I recommend that you clean your diffuser after every 5-7 uses. This simply means that after you have used all the water and essential oils in the device. Not if you’re using it for 30 minutes 5 times each.
It’s a good idea to clean your diffuser if you are putting in essential oils that don’t mix well together, too.
Cleaning your diffuser:
- Fill the diffuser halfway with water.
- Add 10-20 drops of white vinegar. I have read you can use other kinds of vinegar, but I would recommend just using white vinegar.
- Turn the diffuser on for about 5-10 minutes. This will allow the vinegar to coat the plastic pieces, walls, etc.
- Dump the water out in the sink or toilet.
- Use a cotton ball to wipe the inside of the diffuser out.
- Rinse the diffuser with tap water.
- Use a paper towel or dry cloth to dry the inside of the diffuser.
So, there you have it these are the best essential oil diffusers in 2020 to choose from. Now you can enjoy the health benefits which come along with owning an electronic diffuser.
My #1 recommendation for the best diffuser of 2020 is the AromaFuse by Plant Therapy. It is more expensive than some of the diffusers I have shown you in this article, but it’s really worth it. However, if it’s out of your price range the URPOWER 500 mL diffuser is an excellent option and it’s half the price of the AromaFuse.
Lastly, any of the diffusers I have mentioned in this article I am confident in recommending. They really aren’t in any particular order, but I it should make it easier to pick one that meets your needs.
Do you have any questions about the products listed in this guide? I would encourage you to leave a comment down below.